From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DrFranken
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2018 9:45 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: How to configure a 2nd Enthernet port to a 2nd Eternet Switch for Load balancing/fail over

You are correct that this support was enabled in TR3 though LACP wasn't
supported until a later TR (TR7) which hopefully every one already has!!!

You should choose *LNKAGG if your switches support that. This is a more
standard implementation while *ETHCHL was a Cisco only spec that some
other manufacturers did support.

For the policy that's an 'It Depends' question as this is what
determines which link in the bundle to send the packets across. Consider
that with a single connection between IBM i and another device, such as
each file during an FTP session, only 1 link of the bundle is used. This
simply determines which of the links is chosen for each connection.

If you have a lot of connections (e.g. many users) then I recommend
leaving the default of *DFT there. Second choice would be *SRCDESTP.

Do note that in this thread there has been discussion about vPC/vLAGG
(Virtual Port Channel/Virtual Link Agg). This is not supported in very
many switches in my experience but more importantly I have never been
able to make it work from IBM i to a switch pair that DOES support it.
IN THEORY it should work as there isn't any config required on the
downstream (which would be IBM i) Side.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com