I agree the network map display thing is kinda cool. But we now have so many partitions and so many VLANS that I need all three 4K screens on my desk to show it in any pixel size that it's visible. So while 'shiny object' it's really not all that useful to me.

And it can't show storage provided by an IBM i host partition so that's pointless.

What it should but doesn't have is a way to deploy an IBM i partition. Be that from a stated NFS host or from images on the HMC or from a named tape device. It does not. Heck the HMC is linux and it could easily be the NFS server for a stack of IBM i images so why not? As you say it's aimed at the Unix crowd.

If you create partition what do they call them, 'templates', they are flatly pointless. Completely. The only thing you can set in there is CPU and memory really. Everything else you have to specify when you deploy the template, including network and storage connections. And for US those things you CAN put in the template are different every time based on customer size! So again a total whiff on any value whatever. Zero.

I will say at least they fixed that stupid annoying 'upgrade' link. In 8.8.7 and I think early 9 it said: Noo Noo Noo this isn't right go to this other place (that you can't find) to do upgrades. They finally gave in and it links you there.

It's 'new' and it has many more pictures (read icons) than before but again 'shiny object' and no substance.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com