None of those telnet settings have any effect on the HMC session since that session is NOT established to IBM i rather it connects to the HMC itself.

Unfortunately IBM has no mechanism in the HMC to keep the session alive. The issue you are experiencing is your firewall dropping the session. Even with a VPN (client or tunnel) your firewall keeps track of the translation by IP and port number. When that connection sees no traffic for a time ('a time' defined by your firewall) it assumes the connection is dead and away it goes. Your session goes away with it.

As many have suggested having a session live on the HMC itself is one potential solution. That way even when you do get disconnected you can reconnect to it with no harm no foul. However many consider this a security risk as there you sit with a live session likely signed on with a high security profile. Now you may say: "Hey it's in a locked room" or 'Hey I lock the HMC session!' but if it's locked you need to know the password of the user who locked it! (And yes, I know many of you just share the password for hscroot. #SecurityFail)

The two favorite techniques I use are to establish a virtual desktop session in the data center on the SAME subnet as the HMC itself. This way sessions established there are NOT timed out by any firewall and will stay active for days and weeks even with no I/O. This desktop is then accessed remotely or you can create a shared session and access that shared session remotely.

The other technique which works but not as well is to configure your firewall to NOT time out connections using port 2300 or 2301. This way you don't get disconnected during long periods of no I/O to the console session. And if you're not the firewall guy in your company good luck convincing them this is important. :-)

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com