Not to debunk the naysayers, however:

With machine readable PDF files there are tools such as our Automate software that do a great job of maintaining text positioning when extracting from PDF. Most tools don't extract well and maintain relative positioning.

Automate can also do the data entry for your customer service team if they get relatively consistent layouts. It can automate data entry into Windows Apps, Browser Apps and 5250 terminal sessions.

If you haven't heard about Robotic Process Automation (RPA) tools, check out the link below and feel free to try it out. Even if you don't buy it, you will know there are better tools than the hammer, chisel and the keyboard 😊

http://www.helpsystems.com/automate

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

------------------------------

message: 7
date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 11:53:31 -0400
from: "Art Tostaine, Jr." <atostaine@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Copy PDF

We had a customer on IBM i who would only send us PDF's. We could see the
query name in the PDF!. We begged, they wouldn't budge.

Our customer service had to read the PDF and type the results into another
application. It was worth the money for me to read the text from the
PDF.. What a giant pain!

I had to look for certain characters in the string returned to figure out I
was on a detail line. I think it finally took me about a week to process
the report into a database file that we could use to insert into the other
system.

Art