At a former employer we had a large UPS that was to be able to power the
data center for 3-4 hours. It was regularly serviced and batteries swapped
out as needed. We also had at least one (sometimes more) power outages like
you are talking about that were for scheduled for 8 hours or more on an
annual basis. So yes, we powered everything off for those. Even if they
said it would be only 2 hours; I think we would have powered everything off.

FWIW, we would always have someone show up the next working day "what
happened to the spreadsheet that I spent 4 hours working on Friday" and they
left it on their desktop without saving the document. The power outage was
broadcast well in advance. "I didn't think that would affect my PC".

Regards,

Jim Hawkins
Programmer Analyst
Interkal LLC
Kalamazoo, MI

Definitely.

Thanks for the confirmation.

(btw - the funny thing is no one knows how long the UPS would stay up - it
is substantial, but has never been tested under load for any period of time.

There are half dozen win servers, and a possibility the in room air
conditioning is on it...). No one is around who did the original specs for
the room.
Jim Franz