Well since the environment has a built-in Java runtime and several jars along with JDBC capabilities I'm guessing Java is a requirement unless it's bytecode can read JAR files.

My initial test was a one liner to open a database and all I got back with "Error". No detailed trace info on why the connection failed.

I think it needs a bit of work. Nice toy for now. We'll see where it goes.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

------------------------------

message: 3
date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 08:37:00 +0200
from: Mihael Schmidt <mihael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: What are micro-services?

I don't think that it has anything to do with the JVM (and neither with the JRE) besides the concept of having a VM.

From the website:

"The Ballerina compiler is written in Java with a generated LL parser using ANTLR4. It generates binary files containing a Ballerina bytecode format that is platform neutral and different than Java?s bytecode."

As it is different from Java it cannot run on the JVM (without again compiling it to Java bytecode which is not mentioned).

Best regards

Mihael