To make a long story less long, a common scenario where I work is for someone
to retire and instead of them being replaced their duties get dived up among
those who are left. My duties have evolved significantly over the past
couple of years, not that my title necessarily reflects it.

The systems I'm responsible for have been managed with the "If it ain't
broke, don't fix it" method for far too long. I need to get up to speed on
HMC updates, and eventually OS PTF updates.

I noticed in today's edition of The Four Hundred the PTF guide mentions an
SSL certificate change on IBM's back end call home servers necessitating an
HMC update. Our current 7042-CR8 software version is:

Version: 8
Release: 8.1.0
Service Pack: 1
HMC Build Level 20140901.2
Base Version=V8R8.1.0

Checking our server firmware status, we're at:

Fix PTF
pack ID
SV810_101 MH01476
FW810.20

And when checking that I notice our firmware entitlement key expired two
days ago. It looks like I need to get that updated.

Our HMC is managing a system with one host and three guest IBM i LPARs
running 7.2.

IBM shows MH0GTIU-V81-83.iso is available for HMC release 8.1.0 to update
the certificates. Does anyone have any update recommendations? Should I go
with the MH0GTIU-V81-83.iso update, or upgrade to a later 8.x or possibly a
9.x release? I've read through the IBM HMC software upgrade documentation
at:

https://www.IBM.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/8247-22L/p8hai/area3fixeshmc_upgrades.htm

Suggestions for additional reading are welcomed.

Which, if any, HMC software updates require managed server downtime?