"MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 07/10/2018
11:53:13 PM:
Does the system operator on the z/VM box know your friend is trying
this?

Doesn't have to be a z/VM mainframe. It could also be a z/OS or a
z/VSE mainframe. In our case, we have a z/VSE mainframe and unsecured
Telnet but it does require a predefined port number and LU name for the
Telnet session.

To support this, our TCP/IP stack requires the TN3270E protocol
for Telnet sessions. I see the port can be specified but I don't see any
way to specify this LU name using the IBM i TELNET command.

I also tried the TELNET command to go from our IBM i to our
mainframe and I get the same results mentioned by the OP. I also get an
error message on the mainframe side demonstrating that no LU name was
supplied in the connection.

Sincerely,

Dave Clark