On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 10:35 AM, Jim Oberholtzer <
midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'll take exception to the "never be rich enough to encompass all the tools
you need". The rate of adoption is very high and it comes with the backing
of the folks in Rochester. Since Yum installs have only been GA since May
you might want to sit back and wait on that thought for a bit. They hit
the
low hanging fruit and will add things as demand comes along.

I support the Yum move enthusiastically and was a very early "alpha"
adopter.

I have, though, been in the open source community since the 1980's and have
an idea of its breadth.

There are tools useful for development, or useful *once* to a shop, that
won't garner many IBM i community eyes.

Open source will be a powerful, essential adjunct to IBM i as long as that
platform lasts, but open source will always be immensely broader than the
corpus adopted on the i.

To understand that corpus, you have to track it where it lives. It is
centralized on a *nix approach and embodied in two main branches, Linux and
BSD.

Anyone planning serious, intensive use of open source in the shop should
have a Linux and/or BSD box handy; the adopter's perplexities are therein
revealed.

As to not having a Linux or BSD in the network, 80% of shops have an
aversion to adding yet another OS to support so they won't add one

Set one up at home. They never pay us for all the time it takes to know
what we know, y'know? :)