Hi Booth

I don't think the point is what they are used to - it seems that if you have to switch between keyboard and mouse, it is a time-waster.

There are different needs, as this thread has shown. If doing heavy data entry - putting in lots of text in lots of different fields - a character-based interface is generally more efficient, as several have pointed out. Entry can be done without looking at the keyboard, ever - tabs and newline keys are easily used in repetitive processing for input.

And as some have said, they just don't have that happening, so a more mouse-driven interface is OK. A mouse-driven interface is eye-driven, so far as I see it - and having to locate by eye is often slower - yes, a person can get faster over time.

And if you want to draw pictures, there is nothing but a mouse to be used - and we don't have too much of image manipulation in IBM i interfaces, although that could be opened up with GUIs. maybe?

Web pages can be designed to be really awful - as an example, how hard is it to set the input box that gets focus first? It's not - but even professional companies have made the mistake, at least in the past, a lot, of just letting the cursor end up wherever.

To me, one pretty-good approach is to have the 5250 character-based interface available, along with a graphical interface - people can learn to use what is more effective for the work they do.

Cheers
Vern