One, you should not be losing your shared session on your HMC. Unless you
IPL the whole rack (is this a single lpar system?). That being said, I am
experiencing a loss of a shared session quite frequently. I'm at HMC 9
but on x86.

Two, what you are seeing is because your system allows "console takeover".
This is kind of a good thing. Picture this. You're running a dedicated
full system save which may take hours. You lose your console session,
even on the HMC. What the heck, let's say you even reboot your HMC. Now,
since you have this "console takeover" you can still reconnect and the job
will not be interrupted. The save had no idea there was an issue and
continued on. But, if having this capability is not worth the fact that
you are seeing change, and we all know that change is evil, then you can
disable console take over.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1015706

Thank you very much. That link really helped.

For a single system/single partition environment, yep change is bad. Particularly if to get to a console I have to: select a language, remember a user/id password to the HMC, select the system, select the partition, remember a DST user id/password, just to get to the console screen. Yep the flexibility is great, the complexity isn't. I would prefer to default the language (anyone not using 21 doesn't need to be on our system). I like the HMC signon (keeps someone from getting to the console and banging against QSECOFR attempting to the find the password and being on a console where the account will never be disabled). I would prefer to have the system automatically select (there's only one, there will only ever be one). I would prefer that if they know the name of the shared session, they get into it with no further hoops.

My view would be different if we were in a more complex environment.

Again, thanks. That link was nowhere in the first 30 results I found in Google. I was missing 'takeover and recovery' in the search terms.