I read the link that was posted earlier, and I think the IPL thing was just a misunderstanding. The IPL is required for the target LPAR, not the production LPAR.

I'm not up on RAID tech. My boss has always insisted on mirrored drives, which are no longer an option.

-----Original Message-----
From: Roberto José Etcheverry Romero [mailto:yggdrasil.raiker@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2018 12:53 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Flash Copy questions

IBM i IS priced by core, not by LPAR, you can have as many as 20 LPAR per core (don't expect much out of 0.05 core LPARs...) FlashCopy should be managed by the HA software that I assume they are trying to sell you into.
What I don't understand is why, for 12 disks, they want to make 2 RAID sets. AFAIK, from what I've learned in the last two TechU, you ALWAYS use DRAID with as many drives as you can.
If they want an IPL for the FlashCopy they are most likely not aware of PowerHA and it's PowerHA FlashCopy Toolkit (from LabServices), it might end up being a little expensive if you aren't really going to do HA...

Best Regards,

Roberto