From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Justin Taylor
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2018 4:11 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Flash Copy questions

Thanks for the comprehensive feedback.

Our BP says that IBMi/SWMA is charged by hardware, so additional partitions are no extra charge.

We were told the only way to do a Flash Copy snapshot was with an IPL. I had some concerns about that, in addition to the time required.

The 1TB would drop like a bomb as part of the migration. The plan calls for 12 drives, in 2 RAID sets with a hot-spare drive in each set. That would give us 8 drive's worth of space. At double our current growth, we'd have 72 months' worth of growth. That's factoring in the Flash Copy, but ignoring the space for the controlling partition.

I expect the overhead of the external storage and the extra partitions will slightly diminish our performance gains, but the improvement will still be enormous.