Yes VIOS needs to know because you pick which VLANs cross each SEA bridge. So similar to IBM i you would set up the SEA for production using one set of ports and the SEA for replication on a different set of ports and VLANs.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com

On 5/29/2018 2:42 PM, Steve Pavlichek wrote:
Larry,

That is the strategy I was planning on going with. Separate virtual ethernet adapters for user traffic and replication. For all of the user VLANS, I think it would be a cleaner config to do the VLAN on the client OS, less config work up/down the stack. In this scenario, does the VIOS adapter need to have the VLAN ID also or just the OS?

________________________________
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of DrFranken <midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 12:29:11 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: v7.3 VLAN tagging and VIOS configs

The ability to use VLAN tags truly simplifies everything. Why would I
want a separate Ethernet line, controller, and device for every separate
VLAN? In addition I need to configure each virtual network adapter so I
end up with a whole bunch of stuff to no gain. If you can tag, tag.
Simple, Quick, Efficient.

That said, it's not for everything! For example if you have PowerHA
Geomirror or Mimix or other HA software that really pounds a pipe I
would keep that traffic on a separate Ethernet line to avoid queuing
issues that might slow production traffic.

Another other use I like is the ability to install or upgrade or PTF a
partition using network based virtual optical. I always keep that on a
separate virtual adapter as you cannot use the same one for both IBM i
and the Service Tools adapter at the same time. Additionally you need to
tag that adapter as the alternate restart device in the partition profile.

SECURITY NOTE however. DO pay attention to the allowed VLANs on the
virtual adapters!! This is especially true in a multi-tenant
environment. If you open that up you theoretically allow someone to add
an interface in a VLAN you don't want them in and thus security is
compromised.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com<http://www.Frankeni.com>
www.iDevCloud.com<http://www.iDevCloud.com> - Personal Development IBM i timeshare service.