The critical factor I think is how the data will be used. If it has to be displayed/printed on attached EBCDIC devices then converting to conventional quotes is really the only option if changing the code page of the field in question is not an option.

On the other hand if you are just "holding" the data and it will just be sent out as JSON or other UCS2 forms then you could just add your own escape sequence to allow it to be restored and recovered.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com