I just received a FedEx overnight delivery from IBM. It has a one page form
letter to "Dear Valued Client".

It basically says IBM will be complying with the EU GDPR regulations
(regulations without any enforcement mechanism, nor penalties) and go to a
web site that explains any of the terms/condition changes as the result of
this regulation.

Then it gets better, there is a unique identifier on the FedEx envelope that
you need to use to go onto the web site to indicate your acceptance of the
new terms. So, if like my assistant does, the letter is extracted from the
envelope and the envelope discarded (since when do we keep those anyway?)
now how are you supposed to go onto the web site? Think of the mail rooms
in larger organizations. Geesh..

Better yet, they say that if you do nothing by the "due date" (May 24, 2018)
they assume you agree and off you go.

US based customers could have been serviced by the Post Office just as
easily and most likely cheaper. Why use FedEx? I swear the lawyers at IBM
make life so much harder and expensive than it has to be. I wonder where
the stock prices would be without this type of insane expense.

HP, Cisco, Dell, and Brocade all sent me similar notices, via email....

--

Jim Oberholtzer

Agile Technology Architects