Hi, everyone,

I'm trying to  avoid burning up a lot of time, plastic, and gas and am instead trying to use an Image Catalog to
install licensed programs and PTFs on my guest partition.

I have created the Image Catalog (CRTIMGCLG), loaded the files to the IFS, added the image catalog entries (ADDIMGCLGE) , loaded the image catalog (LODIMGCLG),
and loaded the first image (LODIMGCLGE).  All on the host partition.
Now on the guest partition, what do I do to associate some device (presumably a virtual device) to point to the Image Catalog on the host partition?
The Work with Licensed Programs for Target Release panel requires an 'Optical device', as below...

Work with Licensed Programs for Target Release
System:   S1234567
Type choices, press Enter.

  Generate list from     1            1=Distribution media
                                      2=Merge with additional distribution
media
                                      3=Modify previously generated list

  Optical device . . .   ???????      *NONE, Name

  Target Release . . .   V7R1M0 VxRxMx

F3=Exit F12=Cancel

Do I create a virtual device on the guest? If so, what's the Device Type/Class?
I used *OPT for Device Type and *VRT for Resource Name and it created it,
but what is the 'link' so this virtual optical device points to the Image Catalog
on the host and not, for example, to the actual optical drive?

Do I do a D mode, manual IPL?
I don't seem to be able to find instructions for this next step(s).

Best Regards,

Thomas Garvey
Corporate Scientist
Unbeaten Path International