I just noticed that the part number changed from 01LU575 to 01LU573 for the
283 GB 15K SAS drives - going from Power 8 to Power 9. But the actual
drives appear to be identical.

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 6:51 AM, DrFranken <midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Caution!

The use of part numbers for Power Systems configuration is not a great
idea.

IBM Uses feature codes because the underlying part number can AND DOES
change. This may include sourcing parts from multiple suppliers (they
ALWAYS do this) as well as changes in the part over time. That said even
the feature code can appear to change for the same drive or I/O adapter but
in those cases the change typically indicates a different mounting
configuration. (e.g. Sff-1 Sff-2 or Sff-3 for disk units.)

While it's probable that a part number search will yield results it's also
very probable that it will miss valid results.

A classic was the old 4GB SCSI disk unit. Those things came in more part
numbers than you could shake a stick at. They physically changed from 1.6"
to 1" drives, changed the style of the case completely, embodied maybe a
dozen manufacturers and yet if you had a 6607 it worked! This was also a
good example of finding the same disk unit with different mounting. These
things went into model 400s with NO mounting into 170s and 620s and 720s
with a blue handled sled and into older 3xx and 5xx models inside a
complete enclosure that even had another board in it!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com