Justin:

That's one of the big reasons iASP was created was to do just what you are
doing now.

While Rob is correct that the save/restore times for IFS based objects is
depended on a bunch of factors, it really does not matter much if it's in an
iASP or not.

The trick is determining if the iASP is volatile to the point where it needs
frequent back up, or is it reasonably static? You can do a full save of the
*SYSBAS objects without the iASP to set that up for recovery, clearly saving
time there, and then save the iASP on a separate save. I do this since a
recovery is two steps anyway. Also depending on the reason for the recovery
on *SYSBAS you may not need to recover the iASP independently anyway.

So:
1) Buy BRMS and let it back up the system while you sleep. Does it
automatically. Three months of your time and it pays for itself. It will
handle the iASP too. Backup *SYSBAS, start the system then back up iASP.
Simple.

2) Set up two saves. One for the *SYSBAS and do that one at 0:darkthirty as
needed. The second save can be done any time you want to just to the iASP,
again depending on the data you put there.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects