From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob
Berendt
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 6:52 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Can VPM be used on system with HMC?

I agree, why would anyone want to use VPM if they have an HMC?

However, I wonder why one would even need to dynamically move the tape
library around. We have ONE fiber channel port coming out of our Power 8.
It is controlled by a VIOS lpar. It goes to a SAN switch. From there it
goes to our tape library. Our tape library has multiple drives. All the
lpars of IBM i can do a WRKMLBSTS and see the library, and it's drives:
Device/
Resource Status Allocation
KDVLVTL VARIED ON
TAP13 OPERATIONAL UNPROTECTED
TAP16 OPERATIONAL UNPROTECTED
TAP20 OPERATIONAL UNPROTECTED
TAP22 OPERATIONAL UNPROTECTED
TAP23 OPERATIONAL UNPROTECTED
TAP31 OPERATIONAL UNPROTECTED
TAP32 OPERATIONAL UNPROTECTED
TAP33 OPERATIONAL UNPROTECTED

Each lpar can run backups at the same time as other lpars as long as you do
not exceed the number of drives.
We have so many drives we tell BRMS to back up using four drives at a time.
So we do stagger our backup times a little.

But if you just HAVE to dynamically lpar (like perhaps you have an
insistence on SCSI connection for some strange reason) then there are ways
to execute commands on the HMC from programs on IBM i to get it to do so
automatically. Al Barsa used to peddle a product to do this

IBM Certified System Administrator - IBM i 6.1 Group Dekko Dept 1600 Mail
to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E