So here's what I came up against when I tried last week (and just now
again) to select an alternate installation device: no bus offered.

Note as mentioned earlier, once the OS is installed, it autoconfigures
itself with TAP01. It's just at alternate installation device selection
time it doesn't appear.

Select Alternate Installation Device
Bus
System:
XXXXXXXX
Type Option, press
Enter.

1=Select

Option Bus Number
Selected

F2=Deselect device F3=Exit F5=Refresh
F12=Cancel
F13=Bypass bus select

So when I get here, I try F12 and get this:

Select Media
Type
System:
XXXXXXXX
Select one of the
following:

1.
Tape
2.
Optical

Then I get this:

Select Alternate Installation
Device
System:
XXXXXXXX

Additional devices may be available for use. Press F5 to
see
if any additional devices have been
detected.

Type option, press
Enter.
1=Select 5=Display
details

Bus Resource
Serial
Option Number Name Type Model Number
Selected
255 TAP01 3580 006
YFC0WT064394

Here's the tape library's serial number:

Serial Number 10WT064394

So you see, it has found the real tape drive. Here's 5 to display details:

Display Device
Details
System:
XXXXXXXX
Resource
Serial
Name Type Model
Number
TAP01 63A0 002
YFC0WT064394

Location . . . . . . . . . . . . .
:

Logical
address:

Bus:
System bus . . . . . . . . :
255
System board . . . . . . . :
128
System card . . . . . . . . :
6

Storage:
I/O bus number . . . . . . :
16
Controller . . . . . . . . :
0
Device address . . . . . . : 0

All good so far.

Back to the Select screen and 1 to select it as the alternate installation
device.

Bus Resource Serial
Option Number Name Type Model Number Selected
255 TAP01 3580 006 YFC0WT064394 *

F2=Deselect device F3=Exit F5=Refresh F12=Cancel
Alternate installation device selected

Tape is in the drive. says the library:
Drive inventory Drive Status Label Source
1 Full, Gen. 5 000001L6 Slot 1

Then F3 and 1 to install and:

Alternate Installation Device
Failed
System:
XXXXXXXX
The alternate installation device or media
failed.

Press Enter to use the primary installation
device.
Press F5 to
retry.
Press F12 to cancel.

5=Retry
F12=Cancel
Data on media incorrect - installation failed

So I guess somehow the tape is no good despite being a GO SAVE 21. Entire
System and being in other respects apparently reliable?

Waah.

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 3:46 PM, Jim Oberholtzer <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx