We will be using some disks in the CEC on the P9. These will be spinning
disks.
On our Power 8's we have
C14-57DC - PCIe3 x8 SAS RAID Internal Adapter 6Gb
C15-57DC - PCIe3 x8 SAS RAID Internal Adapter 6Gb
VIOS1 uses one to power it's two drives (1 drive mirrored to another)
VIOS2 use the other for the same thing.

Again, we are upgrading for three reasons:
1 - Reduced maintenance.
2 - More memory
3 - Some more processors for our AIX lpar(s). Possible new workload
coming.

VIOS1 has one 10GB Ethernet adapter. VIOS2 has the other. They serve
them together as a shared ethernet adapter to the lpars.
VIOS1 has one 8GB FC adapter. VIOS2 has the other. The FC adapters do
not look like they are configured in any sort of redundant mode. WRKHDWRSC
*STG shows the following (and more).

Resource Type-model Status Text
CMB03 6B25-001 Operational Storage Controller
DC03 6B25-001 Operational Storage Controller
CMB09 6B25-001 Operational Storage Controller
DC07 6B25-001 Operational Storage Controller
KDVLVTL 3584-032 Operational Tape Library

When I use 7=Display resource detail I can tell they both come from the
same VIOS lpar, one uses one port on the FC card one uses the other on the
same card. And since I only see one tape library I'm guessing there's a
physical connection missing (or some SAN mapping is off).
The other vios lpar doesn't even bother virtualizing it's FC.

So I get the impression that if I drop the one VIOS lpar then I am SOL for
tape.

I might have further work here to do.

I may do a true Ethernet redundancy test on my Sandbox rack with it's 5
lpars. I have some VIOS upgrades coming and I want to see if they'll be
disruptive on the other racks.
Apparently I better not count on it for FC serving.