<snip>
As far as I can tell, a NFS remote image catalog isn't in play.
</snip>

Not yet anyway.

To me it looks like what you consider your guest lpar has your physical
DVD in it, and what you consider your management lpar only as a virtual
optical.

If you are upgrading your guest:
You have a few choices which immediately come to mind.
1-Use physical media. I wouldn't. I like to use virtual so that I don't
have to worry about the timing of swapping disks and I'd really hate to
get so far into it and find I have a bad disc.
2-Create another virtual optical drive on your guest and ftp the image
catalog stuff there and clean it up. I used to do it this way.
3-Create a virtual optical drive on your guest and load your physical
media into the virtual optical drive. I've not done it this way in awhile
as the downloads are usually newer.
4-Start setting up NFS. I fought it way too long. I've not yet done an
OS upgrade using NFS but I found the instructions for you and for when
rNext comes along. But I now use NFS for PTF's. I say go for it. It's
not something that you'll only use once every 3-4 years when you do an OS
upgrade. You'll start using it for PTF's too.