On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But there is no guarantee this way that the data in the target file is the same as it is today. Right now no conversion is being done. With this everything gets converted. It will deal with the french character but ...

I don't know what you mean by "no conversion is being done". He said
that his desired method "works" as long as the characters are safe
(we'll say 7-bit ASCII to be really, really safe). But that very same
method converts one unsafe character to two. Which means the *desired*
method is doing *some* conversion.

He seems to be ignoring any attempts by the participants in this
thread to suss out what encoding is really supposed to be in the PF,
or if that even matters. He did say that his system QCCSID value is
37, so the best assumption I could make is that other programs using
that PF (he did say there were already other programs using it) are
treating the *contents* as though they are 37.

And, since he already stated that the stream file is 1252, I used those values.

If your argument is that my solution has hard-coded encodings, well, I
think everyone is in agreement that the way things are SUPPOSED to
work is that you have proper CCSIDs for everything. Since he seems
unwilling or unable to set a proper CCSID, and unwilling or unable to
get rid of that PF, well, a way to make it Just Work is the simple
iSeriesPython code I presented. Least disruption, which is also what
he asked for. It would take on the order of 15 minutes to download and
install iSeriesPython, and I already wrote the code for him.

John Y.