Upfront I have to apologize if I have some of my terminology a bit skewed,
I'm not a networking person and am 'translating' from what my networking
associate said.

After upgrading to 7.3 we started having speed issues on windows 7
devices with an RPG program that uses STRPCCMD to open up a Office
document located on the IFS. Because of what we had seen about problems
between IBM and Microsnot related to SMB2 we decided to move the directory
structure from the IFS to a Linux NAS device. A Mount was created on the
IFS to the NAS device that allows the creation/update of the documents via
the RPG app. And the read of the documents occurs via the STRPCCMD going
directly against the NAS device using a UNC parameter (not a share).

Well, the speed issue hasn't gone away and now we are having issues with
documents disappearing on the NAS device. On the speed side we made a
change last night on the NAS side so that the share was created as SMB
2.1, it had originally been SMB 3. We will be testing that today to see
if that helps with the speed issues.

On the disappearing documents, we have logs showing that they are created.
However, they are coming up missing, and at this time no logs on what is
deleting them. Because of the number of documents missing we've ruled out
user error. I'm wondering if it's because on the IFS side he has it
mounted as NFS (he wasn't able to get an SMB 2 mount to work). We don't
want to back down to SMB 1 because of the security issues. Has anyone
been able to get a NAS device mounted on the IFS using SMB 2?

Question raised by my network guy is whether 7.3 will support SMB 2.1,
which he says will work on Windows 7? I can't find anything related to a
2.1 version on the i. This would allow us to remove the NAS device and
use the IFS again directly.

Thanks,

Ken Meade

Director of Information Technology | kmeade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
603.444.3570 |

1309 Mt. Eustis Road, Littleton, NH 03561

microsoft windows sharepoint services logo