Some will always find an excuse to wait. Many of those on 7.1 are on
hardware that supported nothing higher than 7.1. Those people waited on
Power 6, Power 7 and Power 8 and still didn't move. Dollars to doughnuts
the Power 9 servers will not support 7.1 anyway. My 8286 Power 8 required
that you be at least on 7.1 TR8.
IBM has sworn that there will be no futher TR's for 7.1. A TR would
normally be required for such new hardware. IBM made one exception. They
did come out with one resave of 7.1 without a TR. Kind of a way to skate
around the edge of the "no further TR's for 7.1" proclamation.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1022066
That was just for some additional Power 8 features, not for Power 8 itself
though. That was in TR8.
I do not see them doing it for Power 9.