From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tsvetan Marinov
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2017 10:13 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Status unmatch HMC and Power 8 server.

IBM i hosting IBM i, exists using HMC V8R8.7.0. They've added it before they released the version and in theory all the actions/options should exists within 8.8.7.0 as per the old Classical view. I've also noticed that
8.8.7.0 is much more quicker and stable than 8.8.6.0. One thing IBM doesn't tell you straight is that with 8.8.7.0 they change the Call home connectivity to use the new IBM Edge infrastructure, which means new firewall rules for network team= PITA.

На пт, 29.12.2017 г. в 14:06 ч. Jim Oberholtzer <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
написа:

SP2 is certainly more stable than SP1. If you used the classic
interface the sizes of the windows constantly changing will drive you to distraction.
Rob is correct there are some things that simply do not exist in the
Enhanced+ environment. IBM i hosting IBM i being the major one.
Enhanced+ While
dynamic LPAR is there, it's a real PITA and if you just want to make a
temporary change (add a tape device for a special backup, then remove
it) it does not handle those things well.

While I understand Rob's reluctance to move to the command line, like
Larry I've been convinced it's the proper way to go if you manage more
than a couple of partitions or multiple machines on the HMC. Simpler
environments were the change is minimal, stay with the GUI.

There are some parts of the Enhanced+ interface that are really
excellent (SEA management for VIOS folks for instance) but that does
not make up for the poor design of the rest.

Memory on the HMC is critical. Consider a memory upgrade to the box
(cheap
too) to get as much memory as possible on the HMC.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects