Steve,

My favorite trick in the SAN is the -nofmtdisk parm!! IBM i formats them anyway why do so twice!

Same is true in the fiber switches! Literally 5 lines to add a partition and that includes saving and activating!

Don't dive into the HMC command line head first. Get in there and learn how it assembles the parms. Once you get that in your head you'll be good. Most of the stuff is well formatted and reminds me a bit of IBM i with it's names and parms. The most funnest part is adding multiple of anything such as a list of Virtual Ethernet for example. The " , and \ characters take a beating!

And here's a secret. Use the list command to show the partitions:

lssyscfg -m "<system name here>" -r lpar --filter \"lpar_names=<partition name here>\"

Replace 'lpar' with 'prof' to see the profiles.

Learn to love the --filter parm it's used a lot and is optional.
Learn also to love the -F. Adding:

-F lpar_id,os_version,ipl_source,lpar_keylock

to the -r lpar version above, returns:

44,OS/400 V7R2M0 410 7,b,norm

Partition 44, running 7.2 set to b and normal.

Wanna see if you've left any of your partitions in manual? Remove the --filter and all will be displayed in under 1 second!

FYI at PPOWERUp18 I am doing a command line session for LPAR touching on SAN, HMC and Fiber switches.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com