Jack,

I found my V6R1 P5 9406-550 to P7 8205-E6C migration notes from 2012.
Approximately 2 tb was migrated.

R&D LPAR was migrated weeks earlier.

My main issues, which I avoided (found in testing the migration-3 times)

1) LIC on the P5 was down level, 1st test migration failed because of this.
2) Some IFS objects were be being omitted from the save, which in turn caused some IBM LPP to fail, and RSTUAT also failed.

Other migration issues below.

3) Outqs that have devd were not restored, they were created, and not with the authorities they originally had. Outqs had their *PUBLIC authority changed from *CHANGE to *USE. This affected multiple users and their ability to work with spooled files within the affected outqs. The fix to the problem is changing the *PUBLIC authority of the outqs back to *CHANGE.
4) System service program QPMLPMGT authority was changed from *PUBLIC *USE on the POWER5 to *PUBLIC *EXCLUDE on POWER7, users were not able to view and/or print archived reports, changed the *PUBLIC authority of QPMLPMGT back to *USE.
5) QSYS/CHKPRDOPT PRDID(*OPSYS)- *FILE QALZALPKEY in QSYS not found for product 5761SS1 option *BASE release V6R1M0. Required PTF 5761999-MF55161 V6R1M1 not in correct status for PTF 5761SS1-SI46163 V6R1M0. PTF requisite errors found for product 5761SS1. Product 5761SS1 release V6R1M0 option *BASE load 5050 not correctly installed.

To minimize downtime, a full save will be done late in the week. Static, seldom used data, 25% of the system (IFS migrated optical, JRNLIB, BRCAUDIT, etc), will be deleted. This saved hours during migration. This static data will be restored following the migration, after we are up and online, as needed. All spoolfiles will be saved, not migrated, can be restored if and when needed.

Following the migration, a full dedicated system save must be done within a week.

I use BRMS for all normal saves, but during my migration testing, found issues with the BRMS recovery process that was not easily and quickly resolvable.
IBM actually recommended using the Save 21, Restore 21, for the migration.

Save 21 Entire system - 5 hours (excluding spoolfiles) 3582 with 2 LTO3 drives, backup ran using parallel drives
Restore 21. System and user data - Est. was 6 hours - 3573 with 4 LTO5 drives (actual restore was only 2 hours-SSD drives!!!)
Verify Restore - 1 hour
UPDPTFINF - 15 min
INZBRM - 5 minutes
Install/Apply PTF - 10 min
IPL - 5 min
2nd IPL may be needed - 5 min
Install all license keys, 20-IBM and 20- 3rd party products - 1 hour

The joblog from migration/recovery was 15,000 + pages.
I actually wrote an RPGLE program to summarize and count the various joblog messages, to save time reviewing.

Hope this all helps.

Paul