From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Richard Schoen
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:51 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: AIX suggestions

After 20-ish years of NetServer and with PASE/NIX under the covers, there's
no reason IBM i shouldn't have a highly efficient PC file serving/sharing
engine by now.

The Samba server implementation was too little too late since most companies
have moved their file sharing workloads because they needed share
reliability. I still shudder when I think back to my first NetServer
experience back in 1997 with a lawfirm who ultimately replaced i file
sharing with a Windows server because Word would blow up or not save files
via NetServer.

The good thing is there are great tools for integrating to IBM i from
Windows, Linux and AIX and making it feel seamless these days to share
between LPARs or external servers. So all is not lost...

Regards,

Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

message: 1
date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 16:44:43 -0500
from: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: AIX suggestions

Brad said: Netserver and slow is an understatement.

Exactly! And it really isn't based on the assumption that your IBM i is
busy processing thousands or tens of thousands of concurrent jobs. It's
just that IBM i is not written to be as fast for raw file serving as the
other OS's out there.
It can do it, but you're just not going to get the performance as other
systems.

IBM Certified System Administrator - IBM i 6.1 Group Dekko Dept 1600 Mail
to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Netserver and slow is an understatement.

Bradley V. Stone
www.bvstools.com