Yes, yes, and yes.  I especially like the comment about 5250 v. gui designs.  One of my first revelations is that screen-at-a-time processes foster crammed screens, fields every where while keystroke based processes offer two or three fields and then move to the next step.  The result is easier user training because the work flow is more directed from small step to small step.  So I decided to carry that few-fields-at-a-time to 5250 and was surprised how today's computers, with their speeds and capabilities, offers us 5250 performance that has  pretty much the same flexibility and speed as keystroke processes.

Therefore, lets not build 5250 screens crammed full with input fields and trying to capture everything with one Enter key.  Lets use gui work flow with 5250 and use those advantages to our advantage.  Forego the one or 2 format display screens and have 5 or 6.  Break it all down so it flows from small piece to small piece.

A disclaimer here:  I am not denigrating gui.  I am only saying if you have 5250, if thats what you have and thats all you're going to get, then for pete's sake! Up your game.  Do what you can do with 5250.  Don't stay in an F-key world.  If your screen says "F23-anything" you need to rethink your design paradigm.