This is poignant.

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Bradley Stone <bvstone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I've said this before but I'll repeat it here.

IBM have tried to give us what you ask for - several times. In the
free/low-cost arena PHP, Python, node.js, VARPG, CGIDEV2, and EGL to name
just a few. Not to mention Websphere/JSPs etc.

What _we_ have proven over and over again is that, by and large, we will
ignore what IBM pushes for a variety of reasons. Many of those reasons
are
valid, many are excuses. Nothing has changed that would make that outcome
any different with any future offerings.

The thing that surprises me most about requests like this (and I'm not
getting at you Mark because you have expressed a widely held belief) is
that there is ZERO reason to believe that anything different would happen
if IBM did come out with some mystical magical "fully integrated"
(whatever
that means) support. In part it hasn't worked in the past because there
is
no one requirement - everybody's wants/needs are different. IBM has
attempted to produce one-size-fits-all offerings (EGL being the most
ambitious) all have finished up on the floor. Even Open Sourcing couldn't
save EGL.

In my opinion the best solution is the one that we have. If I was to
change anything it would be for ISVs to offer a free (or really low-cost)
version of their tooling and (if we really want to dream) perhaps IBM
even
sponsoring such a scheme with a few dollars. For example, I use a tool
(PHPGrid) for quickly building database driven PHP apps. It costs me
something like $250 a year. Cheap enough? I'd be thrilled if IBM would
sponsor Rogue to include this in every PHP delivery. I think it would
make
be very useful for many people.

If you think about it, IBM could sponsor a lot of ISV software with just
fraction of the multi-millions of dollars it would cost for them to build
something new.

Jon Paris

Well said, Jon. +10... especially the part about partnering with or
sponsoring ISVs.

From my experience as an ISV (and having worked a long time in shops from
small to very large) I am not sure IBM sticks with a solution long enough
for it to trickle down to the bulk of the customers. Most don't look for
solutions until they NEED them.

Not really IBM's fault. Their solution doesn't come with 5 more developers
and a sysop. Time is valuable and "good enough" is good enough for most
shops where there are 1 or 2 developers that also act as sysops.

Until the hammer falls and the decision is made to leave the platform. By
then it's too late. A conundrum for sure.