Yes true and with large numbers of disks we do this especially with spinny disks. Remember that the large cache controllers today will support as many as 96 drives (four 24 drive drawers) and in such as case I would certainly want each RAID card driving half the drives. If that was 4 or 6 or 8 RAID sets yes true.

With the SSDs though the IOPs are silly high, like over 6,000 for one SSD vs 150 for a 15K Spinny (400 to 1!) . So the rules change for SSDs not so much due to getting absolute maximum IOPS but because the numbers are so high they almost don't matter. Since SSDs are more expensive as well saving a drive here or there is easily justified compared to the loss of that one drive's IOPS.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com