From: "Jim Oberholtzer" <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25/11/2017 12:50 AM
Subject: Re: Downgrade from RAID6 to RAID5

Yes I've done it several times. FULL BACKUPS with VERIFIED results that
everything is on tape. Turn off RAID6, then turn on RAID5. Takes a long
time to build the RAID striping. The system will be unprotected during
that time.

Assuming you cannot take the time (it'll be a full weekend depending on
how much storage you have) you could hang an expansion chassis on it with
sufficient disk, start RAID5 on that and migrate the system. Last step is
to copy the load source. Then re-raid your original disk to RAID5, and
migrate the system back if you wish to. If done that before too where
I've provided the hardware temporarily to get the job done. Total down
time with both load source migrations, about 5 hours.

Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects
Office: 414-433-4363
Cell: 414-915-1445
Sent from iPad

"I've learned that courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph
over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who
conquers that fear". -- Nelson Mandela