And to activate the additional LIC space will take an IPL.
So plan ahead for your Production LPARs.

From the link Rob posted.

For either option (0 or 1), an IPL is needed to allocate the space.
Note
You do not need to IPL now, but you must IPL before you begin to upgrade.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob Berendt
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 2:54 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Allocate LIC space for V7R1 to V7R3

No where are you told to take that option. What you are told instead is to run this:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/ssw_ibm_i_73/rzahc/allocatespacelic.htm
Now, IDK why they don't say take that option. It is what we used to use.
Let's assume they are using some option on that API that the menu doesn't support. Let's also assume that the people who work on the menu and the people who write these instructions will not talk to each other and fix the menu. Or maybe the menu is updated, but only if you have PTF such and such and IBM just simply got tired of reminding people to have that PTF on. But basically, try the API directly, as instructed, and see if your results differ.
After all it must be drastic enough that they put all these instructions into Knowledge Center instead of just fixing the menu. Remember, they have to translate Knowledge Center into a bazillion different languages.
The menu was translated a coon's age ago.

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755