I know that most of these have been suggested so I'll try to keep the
repeats at the end.

First of all, always use the latest respin or resave of your OS. If a 7.3
PTF fixes the issue during the upgrade you're still going to blow up on
the upgrade unless you use a newer resave which has that PTF built in. IBM
issues a new resave:
- after the latest TR level comes out.
- after some critical PTF which makes upgrading or installing rough
without it.
Resave site:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1022067
People like Jim, Pete, Larry often create their own resaves with even more
current group and cume levels.

Run performance collection (as suggested in the manual) before the
upgrade. Honestly we often neglect this, much to our demise.
Run the RTVDSKINF and PRTDSKINF *LIB combo before and after the upgrade.
You might want to consider running these weekly for awhile and save off
the PDF's.
7.3 also has some great utilities to break down what system task is
sucking up temp disk space, etc. Consider reviewing the storage services
at
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/ssw_ibm_i_73/rzajq/rzajqservicessys.htm

Make sure you are on somewhat current PTF's (less than a year old!) on
your "from" release. Permanently apply them before the upgrade.

Put on the most recent cume and groups immediately after upgrading. Before
letting any users on to the system.

Read the Memo To User for each release. For example, if you're upgrading
from 7.1 to 7.3 read both the 7.2 MTU and the 7.3 MTU. Also read the
suggested upgrade planning documents.

We have 15 lpars of IBM i all running 7.3.
Those who wait too long to upgrade may think they are being cautious and
letting others find the issues but they're missing out. What they are
missing out on is people find out so much cool stuff with the new release
that the pool of people with the caution stories (such as "don't forget to
...") dwindle because the pain dwindles into the background. I can give
you a comparison but due to my gender I'm not speaking from experience.
The comparison being forgetting most of the pain of labor after the
child's 2nd birthday because of all the joy and experiences since then.
So after you upgrade and remark that (x and z) happened we end up replying
"oh yeah, I had forgotten about that".