I read the memo to users for both versions (just like the manual suggests), read the upgrade manual backwards and forwards,
and followed everything step by step. (applying v7r1 ptfs permanent, etc.)
And I used that PC app, downloaded from IBM, that checks everything is OK before you upgrade.
As I performed each step, I reran the app and sure enough it would check off the prep step I just completed.
The only thing I thought was weird was that app's insistence that I should remove QHLPSYS from the system library list before doing the upgrade.
But I did it anyway.
I read so much stuff my boss asked what I was doing.

BTW, the update and cumes were downloaded into separate image catalogs, so no problem there.

Best Regards,

Thomas Garvey