Keep in mind there are two parts:
WRKNWSD
WRKNWSSTG

By not backing up the storage spaces, often done by
CHGATR OBJ('/QFPNWSSTG') ATR(*ALWSAV) VALUE(*NO)
you shouldn't affect the saving of the WRKNWSD stuff (too much)

WRKNWSD can be tied to WRKOBJ OBJ(*ALL) OBJTYPE(*NWSD)
I don't believe there is a similar object to tie to WRKNWSSTG

We have three Power 8's.
Each Power 8 has an lpar of IBM i doing this hosting. They do no other
function.
Each hosting lpar of IBM i has at least 5 guests. These guests may be a
mix of AIX and IBM i.
We only save the hosts once a quarter. On those saves we never save the
storage spaces.
The only time we save the storage spaces on the host is when we forgo
saving the individual guests. Normally a once in a lifetime for that
generation of Power system (if that). For example, a data center move.

Some may look at rebuilding the storage spaces as an opportunity to do
them right. For example, based on the size of that guest,
- Should you use more than one NWSD?
- How many storage spaces? (much like disk arms, there is some benefit to
threading the operations out to multiple storage spaces)
- How many storage spaces per NWSD?
- Do I need to resize my load source? (Note: Load source size on a guest
can be much smaller than load source size on a physical disk!)