I've never seen anything in the docs saying external program have more
overhead...

The trigger buffer is passed to both SQL or external triggers. It's just
not called "trigger buffer" in the SQL triggers; but that's exacting what
the REFERENCING clause is all about.

CREATE TRIGGER SAL_ADJ
AFTER UPDATE OF SALARY ON EMPLOYEE
REFERENCING OLD AS OLD_EMP
NEW AS NEW_EMP
FOR EACH ROW MODE DB2SQL
WHEN (NEW_EMP.SALARY > (OLD_EMP.SALARY *1.20))
BEGIN ATOMIC
SIGNAL SQLSTATE ’75001’(’Invalid Salary Increase - Exceeds 20%’);
END

Charles

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Gerald Magnuson <gmagqcy.midrange@xxxxxxxxx