If our computer operator had worked in shipping or receiving we would have
fired her. Basically she went from the reports with no verification. If
the BRMS reports said pack up these tapes and ship them off to Iron
Mountain she would mark them received at Iron Mountain, before the truck
arrived. It was extremely rare for her to ever check the inventory at
Iron Mountain. I occasionally did (I had to cover her when she was out
and she has 4 weeks of vacation, plus sick days). Granted, it was rare
there was a discrepancy but it did happen. I would clear them up. Sure
we used a scanner. This helped. A lot. But sometimes my scan would be
off. I also wanted the bar codes on the BRMS reports to scan from. This
would have helped a bulk of the errors. I think I submitted an RFE.

Then there was the ONE occasion we asked Iron Mountain to rush us a tape.
They dropped off the tape at an unrelated company in our complex. We
didn't know where it was. Iron Mountain sent the shipper (from a couple
of counties away) to find the tape and bring it to us. If I had known
where it was I would have picked it up myself. One of my troops Assistant
Scoutmasters worked there at the time. I am sure they were wondering WTH
they were supposed to do with this tape.
And the data was not encrypted.

We now use VTL's and I sure do not miss those days.