From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob Berendt
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2017 11:30 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Questionable practice in file handling in CL

I had an old article from at least a decade or two ago that said that this was pretty much obsolete. It agreed that it did used to be a concern. And previously it was recommended on a large file initial population to remove the logical files and add them back at the end. But it was no longer a concern as of V (something or other) of the OS.

However, there are those who beg to differ and say they have even some recent experiences that this is not totally resolved.
One person in this thread did notice a "slight" increase in run time on large files but their most recent comparison was at 6.1. And it was not noted if they included the build time of the access paths of the LF's in this run time.
One person noted his concern about paying the penalty later with a delay rebuild on the access paths and if it was beneficial with all combined.
One person noted that changing the maintenance on the LF's to deferred, adding the rows and then changing the LF's back to immediate (with parallel jobs) was faster. Perhaps an access path rebuild is more efficient than maintaining the access path upon the addition of each row.
This person did not mention when they had this experience however. Perhaps hardware and OS have changed since then?

I keep thinking back before we saved access paths on our saves on how we were literally locked out of some files for almost a week during a restore while it was rebuilding access paths. So, these access path times can be substantial. So deferring them until needed may not always be the most popular idea. IBM changed the defaults on saves to save access paths since then. Too many people got burned. That and media speed and volume has substantially increased since then.

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755