If there is no reason to delete the logicals, other than to rebuild them later, wouldn't a CLRPFM work better or just the same?

Or does the CLRPFM also reset the order in which the logicals are re-(what? Stacked) since the logical is already built using the "best path"?

I'm off for the day and cannot respond until Monday AM.

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think it should be on such a regular occurrence - just on an as needed basis If no new logicals have been added - what will you gain by doing this

Alan Shore

Interesting concept. I want to argue, but I just can't.

At some point, I think I heard that argument before, but as it doesn't TYPICALLY come up that a complete set of files are deleted and recreated each night, I can't think that I would think of that as an excuse.

Using the same logic, should all logicals be deleted and then recreated on a regular basis so as to ensure that the most efficient pathing is used? Or should it be a "Once and Done"?

Duane

I don't have what you are looking for - but I do have some statements about what you wrote (nothing bad - don't worry - just something to make someone think - or for someone else to tell me that I am wrong)

The original intention of this program may have been to recreate the logicals in a better order

For example - if the first logical - logical1 - built over the physical created keys using field A and Field B Then a subsequent logical -logical2 - was built over the same physical creating keys using field A, Field B AND field C There would be 2 separate paths created

It would be MUCH more efficient to delete those logicals and re-create them in a different order Logical 2 THEN logical 1, because logical 1 will use the paths already created with logical 2

At least that was how things were explained to me once

Alan Shore

Subject: Questionable practice in file handling in CL

I'm looking at a CL that:

1. deletes the 6 logicals on a single physical file
2. deletes the physical file
3. recreates the physical from the DDS
4. runs an RPG program that writes (20k to 30k) records to the physical
5. recreates the 6 logicals

The only explanation I can come up with is that it once was thought that the system would be faster if the logicals were built one at a time after the physical was built rather than during the running of the RPG program.

Does anybody have stats to back this up.

I think it's not needed and that a CLRPFM on the physical is all that would be necessary and allow each logical to remain during the run of the RPG build program.

Duane

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic message transmission is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you have received this transmission, but are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact NALC Health Benefit Plan at 703-729-4677 and delete and destroy the original message and all copies.