Hello Jim,

What OS are you printing from? lp5250d is available for many platforms.

I'm not familiar with the OfficeJet 8610, but IBM lists the OfficeJet 8600 (which might be similar?) as "host based", which means that the printer doesn't have enough "intelligence" in the printer itself to understand printer languages like PCL or PostScript. Instead, you have to use their driver, which runs on your PC and does all of the logic, and outputs the raw code for that printer's specific hardware.

(This is commonplace in cheap printers. They save a few bucks by doing all the processing on the PC.)

If that is the case, you will probably not be able to use lp5250d on Windows, since this assumes you are using Host Print Transform, and HPT won't work with a host-based printer.

If you have a Linux system, however, you may be able to use lp5250d with a Linux driver that can convert from PCL or POstScript to the raw printer language. That assumes, of course, that your Linux box is able to print other docs to the printer.

Alternately, you could use a different software (i.e. not lp5250d) that can send docs to the Windows driver by converting IBM's printer format directly to Windows so that the driver can do the work.

-SK