Diego is correct. The primary motivation for factory deconfigured cores was to lower PowerVM costs. It's not much but it is a little.

When you get this machine IBM i sees only one core and needs one license. If you wish to upgrade you can turn on more cores and add IBM i Licenses as well.

In my customer base most don't go the deconfigured cores route as too much is changing and it's very simple to add IBM i Licenses but not as simple to reactivate cores and such especially if you do not have an HMC.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com