The problem with benchmarks is it is pretty much apples and oranges.

If you do a single file chaining out and compare to a single SQL statement
doing the same thing, I am sure RLA will be faster if for no other reason,
RLA is wired directly into record I/O service program and SQL has to make a
program call.

The problem is that you don't use SQL like you use RLA. In RLA, you read a
record, compare a value and read another table and check a value and read
another table.

In SQL you are probably to read all three tables and select the records
only if tests are meet. In other words, you have an access plan.

The thing to recognize is if you design your database correctly, the
database engine does all the work. Code start disappearing. You cannot do
that with RLA.

The only reason that I can see to externalize I/O is to provide database
independence. The single most serious problem with RLA is that it brings
the entire table into your program. The logical view of the data and the
physical view is the same.

Anyone who has been in this business very long knows what happens when you
get a table used all over the place. No one wants to change it Pretty soon
extension tables and then extension of extensions start sprouting up.
Databases are dynamic. Changing all the time. RLA looks in the physical
view of the data.

Of course, if you are using SQL correctly that is exactly what it lets you
do. Have a logical view of the database that is different than the physical
view.