From: Jim Hawkins

Hey Bob,

Feel your pain.

If you still have a maintenance contract:
In talking with IBM and my business partner, they have both told me that I can buy new hardware with an included 3 year maintenance agreement for less than what 3 years of maintenance is costing me for my current system. (I have yet to see any real figures >however). If you are still paying maintenance, you may want to check that out. True, there is an initial cash outlay, but you might be able to spread it out over multiple months to make it work.

Then again, your boss may have a plan to move to a different platform (and can't tell you at this point in time) so he is hesitant to put more money into the system.
I know where I currently am, a hosted system would not fly-and it is not a money issue.

But, if no one is willing to invoke the $pend money command, you are up a creek....

Just curious-IBM has told us that our 520 we can load 7.2 but not 7.3 (but ours is a newer box).

I have been told that also, but we are only paying about $4400 a year for maintenance on the current box. The quotes I've been given for a new Power 8 are in the $30k range. 4400 x 3 does not equal 30k.

Thanks

Bob Cagle
IT Manager
Lynk