A "power down" depends on what's running-- you need a process to start an orderly shutdown ASAP.

Question for the wiring guys-- when the power goes out the UPS/battery takes over. Then the generator kicks in. Do you get a different message at each event? IE "System on battery." "System on generator." If the system can't tell the generator from utility power, you'll never know you have a problem other than a two messages, probably minutes apart: "System on battery" / "Utility power restored."

A generator question-- does it have a 'low fuel' indicator in the computer room, or does someone have to open the doors to the generator and check a fuel gauge? Do you have a contract with a fuel company to deliver fuel any time of the day or night and on weekends? How long does the generator run on a full tank?

Does the generator kick on for a test once a week? How about routine service for the generator, including load testing?

Once you figure out you have a power outage and the system must come down, what will you do? I'd hold the jobqs to the batch subsystems first. Heaven help the long-running jobs! Send messages to all interactive-type jobs to sign off NOW! TFRJOB your session to QCTL, then you can end the interactive subsystems so no new jobs can start.

You need to examine all of the subsystems and see how they should be ended. PWRDWNSYS *IMMED should be a last resort-- IBM recommends gently shutting down TCP/IP!

Do you run 'lights out' / unattended? Will your process shut things down without human intervention? Will you be able to stop it in mid-stream if the power comes back on? Will it be easier to complete a shutdown and IPL the system, starting things up properly?

Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx