I would not call these best practices, and I am using it in an entirely
different environment (Win TFS server as the repository, developing java for
Unix servers). I'm the only one on the team with limited java and no git
experience (because I know how to interface with Power i).

This is from 14 months of git.
Each project task is small (Agile) and is a branch off master. We try never
to have two people in the same source member, because merge conflicts are
not fun.
We do use Tortoise GIT although some long time git users do the GIT Bash
from a command prompt, and they get a much clearer picture of the
environment. That and Tortoise is still fixing bugs... but it does keep you
from learning a lot of commands and parms.
Don't learn in a big project... start small.
Standardize the required comments and the branch descriptions so that all
can recognize.
If just starting, and testing, force some nasty merges & work through them
because trying to figure it out in a real crisis is when bad things happen.
Test rolling back. Test projects that are abandoned (stuck on test
requirements) and a newer project picks up the master source and does other
changes. Then move the stuck project forward..

We also use git in a separate workspace for database changes with a tool
called Liquibase (generates sql code from xml scripts).
Do make sure your repository can handle the traffic and lock conflicts.
Anything that fails should roll back & not leave partial updates.
Always make sure all developers are regularly pulling changes from the
master.
If you have source that often changes (some of our xml changes very often,
then our rule is you always pull first, change it, push it back up.. very
quick - we have 4 environments, DEV, Integration, Test/QA, Prod )
I would think there is a big diff between 5, 15, 50 developers... (we are
4..).
Don't let anyone leave with checked out stuff..unless your trashing it.

Jim Franz