I Get it, IBM hasn't fixed something we consider 'broken'. That happens sometimes and nobody is happy when that happens. Me included.

BUT Consider it IS Windows that is misbehaving in this case. The specification for SMB2 declares the function in question to be OPTIONAL. The IFS in IBM i does not have the needed internals to support this OPTIONAL function. There fore IBM does not (key: because they cannot) support this function.

So Windows machines insisting on attempting to use the function cause performance issues by repeatedly banging on the server (IBM i) with this function.

For Windows 10 there is supposed to be a fix (which I don't have the ID Handy) and there is also a hotfix provided here (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hotfix/kbhotfix?kbnum=812669&kbln=en-US) for most other Windows versions.

Given Microsoft HAS provided a way to turn it off at the client, Depending on how your windows machines are connected you might be able to roll this fix out as your users sign on and thus the problem is solved in one step for your shop.

Is IBM Aware of this: Absolutely. Are then working on better fixes: Yes.

To me phrases like 'betrayed' are a little over the top.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com