This may help someone else, from IBM:

Technote N1019534, which describes what capabilities different HP printers
may have with the IBM i, shows that the HP Color 3600 printer does not
support the PCL data specification. So it won't be possible to print to
this printer from the IBM i using a MFRTYPMDL that converts the data to PCL
format (such as *HPCOLORLJ). It appears it does support a TCPIP connection
using the PJL driver which is why we are able to send the spooled file to
the printer, but it appears the printer then just discards the spooled file
because it is in a format it does not recognize.

There is a possibility that you may be able to get the printer to print
something by specifying MFRTYPMDL(*WSCST) WSCST(QWPDEFAULT) on the
CRTDEVPRT. This will just send plain ASCII text to the printer without any
printer controls, including no controls to select font, or orientation.

As with other Host-based or Windows-only printers, configuring a PC5250
printer session without Host Print Transform (HPT) and without a Printer
Definition Table (PDT) file is most likely to print successfully. However,
in either case you will not be able to print *AFPDS spooled files, and you
will have limited control over the formatting of your output. Whether using
a *LAN 3812 PJL DEVD or a PC5250 printer session, configuring to print to an
HP JetReady printer is considered unsupported.

Tom Deskevich